Friday, July 19, 2013

Old Crow Medicine men. They COULD be The Wizard

Recently I have fallen in and out of love with a band. The Old Crow Medicine Show popped up on m radar just last week. The song Wagon Wheel is what actually did it. As I learned more about OCMS I wasn't surprised that I liked the song, only that it had  taken me so long to discover it and the band. I listened to a lot of OCMS on youtube and even learned how to play Wagon Wheel. I still like the song but the band...that's another story.

The premise of the band is that they are and "Old Tyme String Band". They leave you with the impression that they are a bunch of young musicians getting back to the folksy roots of the local music of where they are from. The image is that they struggled. They were, and are buskers. They "hoboed" around living on their ability to play music and surviving on their whits and having great adventures. Well, it seems that it's a thin shadow of truth built over a bull-work of lies.

You see, while some of the guys in the band DO have southern roots, they all started playing their "old time" instruments as a gag while they were attending their North Eastern Prep Schools. The band's front-man went to arguably the most prestegious prep school in the country. 

No comments: