Thursday, July 12, 2012

More pavement Makes me Sad

I took the Cross bike up to New Hampshire yesterday morning. Last summer there was promising rail trail that led out of the Windham Depot to Derry that was not un-improved but was un-paved. I thought that this would be an acceptably "cross" bit of a ride given my fitness level and bike riding skill. Errr... No. It was freshly paved and smooth as glass. It was anise ride right into Derry center where it DID turn to dirt (yea) for about three hundred yards (meh) and ended altogether in what look to be an Elderly Housing Complex (boo). I almost crash doug prey good when I came to this sudden stop going up hill in the dirt and couldn't un-clip fast enough but I saved it I wandered around the streets of Derry for a few and zipped back down the Bikeabaun to Windham. I only saw a few other cyclists on the trail. Most of them were friendly except for one dude in particular. He was riding a Specialized MTB and was kind of....large. He was not actually riding when I cam upon him. He was looking at the pond. It was a pretty pond, to be sure and if he had kept looking at the pond but that's not what happened. He saw me coming and tried to mount his trusty steed.  He was kind of wobbly and took up the whole path and that was to be expected as he got underway. After three or four minuets of watching him "get underway" I gave a cheery "on your left" and slid past him at a crawl. That's when I got it: The Evil Eye of the Slow Cyclist. I have given it myself on many an occasion. It's the look of "WTF is that Road Biker doing treating this bike path like it's a TDF sprint stage?" sort of an Evil Eye. The thing is, i was behind his wobbly ass for so long and going so slow that I could have walked pst him, on his left, of course.


No comments: